“Freedom of speech is a principal pillar of a free government: When this support is taken away, the constitution of a free society is dissolved.” ~Benjamin Franklin
I have started several posts over the past few days, and none have inspired me to hit publish.
Not among them—
* Trump and a porn star have sex. (How many porn stars?) I couldn’t care less, and I’m not in the least surprised; he’s a pig. He’s never been faithful to a wife, and I’d be worried about std’s if I were #3.
I wish the sexual assault allegations against Trump held the public’s interest like this does.
* Also not on the list inspiring me to write is news that Fatty McTrumpster’s doctor lied about his weight and, if the doctor lied about that, the entire physical was an elaborate performance… but at least it was a comedy.
These three guys are the same height and claim to be the same weight… on earth, with gravity. Muscle is heavier than fat, still, someone is lying. Can you guess which?
* I was going to write on various opinions I’ve read regarding Steve Bannon’s testimony with the House Judiciary Committee. Everyone has a theory about this.
If I could pick one that I’d most like to be true, I choose— Bannon is part of a plan that has been set up by Mueller, and Trump fell into it bigly by sending word to Bannon not to answer questions. More obstruction of justice to add to the rest.
I also like the idea that— Bannon cited executive privilege as his reason for refusing to answering questions, but he was referring to Mueller who also falls under “executive privilege.” I have no idea if that’s true, but I like it.
It follows the idea that— Bannon’s refusal to answer was a way to keep Mueller’s investigation private from Nunes and other Trump/Russia participants who are on the “committee.”
But this story has been written by better and more qualified people than I, so I let it go.
* What I did begin was a post about Donald Trump’s claim that he isn’t a racist. The denial and deaf ears of Republicans who were in the room, but will not admit they heard Trump call Haiti and Africa “shit-hole countries.”
“Trump administration bars Haitians from U.S. visas for low-skilled work…”
Only Haitians were removed from the list of about 80 countries to whom H2A and H2B visas are regularly granted.
I didn’t finish writing about this, because what can you add to that? My last post mentioned Trump’s descendants came to this country unskilled.
An artist projected a message on Trump Hotel DC.
* Then finally, along with everyone else, I started working on a post about Trump’s assault on the free press.
I was inspired, as was everyone else, by his “Fake News Awards.”
What kind of a president does something so insulting to the free world, and to the press.
I was going to compare Trump to Roman Emperor Nero, Frances Maximilien Robespierre, Hitler, Stalin.
I was going to add that the Committee to Protect Journalists released a list of the world’s worst oppressors of free press, and guess who topped the list— Donald Trump was followed by Vladimir Putin, Tayyip Erdoğan, and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.
I had been writing about this, but then I saw Republican Senator Flake speech. He covered it all. It was an excellent speech, given by a man who votes with Trump 90% of the time, but a good speech. Words.
I only would have added that this is not only Donald Trump attacking the free press. This is a conspiracy to undermine the truth. Trump has wealthy friends who want to keep him in office. They dictated much of the tax plan, and want to reap the benefits, and without the press Trump would stand a better chance at re-election. Like Trump and “fox and friends” said, 90% of Trump news is bad.
Trump’s friend Rupert Murdoch, owns Fox, and recently acquired the Wall Street Journal. According to Reuters, Murdoch has been in contact with AT&T, the owners of Time Warner/CNN. Murdoch wants to buy CNN- but AT&T is not interested in selling.
Now Trump’s Justice Department has recommended AT&T sell either its DirecTV unit or Time Warner’s Turner Broadcasting unit – which includes CNN – if they want antitrust approval. A little strong arming is under way.
Nazis controlled half the newspapers published in Germany by 1944.
“If men are to be precluded from offering their sentiments on a matter, which may involve the most serious and alarming consequences that can invite the consideration of mankind, reason is of no use to us; the freedom of speech may be taken away, and dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the slaughter.”
Only 90% negative is too kind for Trump.